Retreat Center Summer Team
We are looking for summer ministry leaders who are:
- In the habit of nurturing a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and are in agreement with our statement of faith.
- Flexible and hard-working persons who can handle responsibility and work as a team.
- Ready to initiate the process by submitting references and an application in good time.
- Available for a personal interview and willing to provide permission for us to do appropriate background checks.
- Opportunities to develop a more intimate relationship with God.
- A variety of work experiences that include lifeguarding, facilitating worship, teaching children and youth, making guest rooms inviting, leading family recreation, serving great meals, maintenance and more!
- Opportunity to be part of a positive team atmosphere.
- A one-on-one relationship with a full-time mentor.
- Opportunities to build new friendships through social interaction with other members of the summer team.
- Discover themselves – their strengths, weaknesses, gifts, abilities and passions for ministry and life choices.
- Learn to value all aspects of ministry, including those that tend not to receive recognition.
- Learn the importance of rest and balance.
- Participate in scheduled times of refreshment, relaxation and renewal.
- Work hard and have fun.
How to Apply / Apply Online:
Most of our hires happen between the months of January and April. The earlier you apply, the more positions will be open!
- Select 4 references, and ask their permission before providing their contact information.
- Click here to apply online. The online system will automatically generate a Reference Form and direct it to each of your selected references.
- If you prefer not to apply online, click here for the printable Summer Team Application Form.
- Provide this printable Summer Team Reference Form to each of your references if not applying online.
- Wait …. it can take 2-4 weeks for references to be returned and all the materials to be reviewed.
- Within 3-4 weeks we will contact you, either about an interview or to decline. If you do not hear from us within 3-4 weeks, please contact us again to check the status of your application. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Summer Ministry Areas:
Retreat Center Program Assistant:
- Ages 15 and up
- Develop and lead activities (such as Bible stories, crafts, games and music) for children during morning sessions.
- Run family-friendly activities that can include use of our inflatables, games and tournaments.
- Assist visiting guest groups and others with programming needs. This can include working with the disability ministries Joni and Friends Family Camps and Christian Overcomers.
- Assist in creating media for use in future marketing and advertising.
- Cook: Assist in preparing nutritious and pleasing guest meals (ages 18 and up)
- Dishwasher: Serve as courteous, efficient dishwasher (ages 14 and up)
- Dining Room Host: Greet and guide guests at mealtimes with friendly courtesy (ages 14 and up).
Front Desk Assistant:
- Ages 18 and up
- Help with various office tasks, including greeting guests and meeting their questions and needs.
- Make sure guests feel welcome, in person and on the phone.
Housekeeping & Janitorial Assistants:
- Ages 18 and up
- Assist in preparing rooms to be welcoming and clean for guests.
- Set up and tear down meeting areas for programming needs and events.
- Ages 18 and up
- Assist with weekly lawn care that can include mowing and trimming.
- Help with painting or staining.
- Assist with various other maintenance tasks, depending on skill level.
- The person in this multifaceted role is a key player on the Retreat Center team, creating the atmosphere for making the pool a welcoming, well-supervised place for guests.
- Schedules and monitors poolside team members, and with the help of Retreat Center leaders, will build unity through good communication, hard work, and a service-oriented attitude toward guests and the ministry team.
- Specific tasks include (1) regular pool cleaning, (2) lifeguarding at the pool and nearby lake, (3) in-service training, and (4) acting as encourager for others.
- Ages 15 and up
- Keep people safe by watching over the pool and lake areas at your scheduled times.
- Clean and maintain the pool area, which includes cleaning the pool chairs and rest room/shower area.
- Must have either current certification, or complete the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training held at Spruce Lake June 1-4, 2017
Adventure Leaders (filled for 2017):
- As part of the Youth Ministry Team, you’ll serve all guests and campers at Spruce Lake in this role – Wilderness Camp, Day Camp, Outdoor Ed and Retreat Center.
- Help facilitate our Adventure Program elements that include (1) Zip Line, (2) Climbing Wall & Tower, (3) Power Swings, (4) High Ropes Courses and (5) Low Challenge Courses.
- Enjoy serving guests of all ages and backgrounds, demonstrating excellent communication and group leadership skills.
Snack Shop Shift Manager & Assistant:
- Shift Manager, ages 18 and up
- Assistant, ages 15 and up
- Help prepare and serve guest food orders — offer customer service with a smile!
- Run the cash register to process guest payments.
- The Shift Manager, in addition, will be in charge of the overall work flow and oversee staff during their shift.
Modest weekly salary potentially ranges from $125 – $300 per week, with all lodging and meals provided. The summer wage works like this:
- Starting wage range ($125 – $200/week) factors in age, skills, experience, certifications, etc.
- The Salary Assistance Program (SAP) enables team members to raise up to $50/week (maximum).
- SLR SAP Match (dollar for dollar of the amount raised) provides up to $50/week (maximum).