The Spruce Lake Wilderness Camp CAMPERSHIP FUND was established to provide financial assistance to campers who would otherwise have difficulty paying camp tuition. It is our guarantee that the Wilderness Camp experience be available to every child regardless of ability to pay the full tuition. Campership funds come from these sources:
- Al and Kass Detweiler Endowment – Al Detweiler, along with his wife, Kass, was the founding director of Spruce Lake Wilderness Camp, and a key person in developing the vision and the start of the program. Together they served the ministry of Spruce Lake for 25 years. Al passed on in 2005 and is survived by Kass, 12 children and 34 grandchildren.
- Derek Todd Casey Endowment – Derek had just experienced a week of camp in 1986 when he lost his life in a car accident. Because of his great love for camp, this fund was established in his memory.
- Ernest W. Alderfer Endowment – This fund was designed in 1997 in appreciation of Ernest Alderfer, who had served Spruce Lake as a board member for 30 years (1964-1994).
- Annual Wilderness Camp Golf Tournament – Each year, this event raises funds for Campership and operations through individuals and organizations who give faithfully and generously.
- Individual Gifts from Friends of Spruce Lake – People, churches and businesses interested in supporting Wilderness Camp give many gifts each year. An annual appeal also helps to cover the Campership needs for the upcoming summer.
- A Campership applies to only one session per camper per summer.
- The fund cannot cover the bus fee, the tuition deposit, or any other purchases such as the camp store deposit.
- If there is church assistance, we ask that the camper family be required to contribute as least $25 of the commitment.
- A single Campership may not exceed $300 in one summer.
How to Apply:
- If the camper is involved in a church, ask your pastor if the church can provide assistance for the camp tuition. If so, indicate the amount of tuition assistance the church will provide in line #5 of the Campership Request section of the application. If no assistance is available, then write “0”
- Send in your application with a minimum of $75 (the nonrefundable registration fee) AND your registration form, if not already submitted. Remember that Campership funds can only cover camp tuition charges, and are limited to $300.
- We will notify you as quickly as possible regarding the status of your Campership application. If you are not granted a Campership for some reason, and choose not to attend for this reason, the camp will refund your deposit.
- Summary: Mail CAMPERSHIP application with CAMP REGISTRATION (if not already submitted) to Spruce Lake Wilderness Camp, 5389 Route 447, Canadensis, PA 18325., or FAX to 570-595-0328, or email email@example.com.
Donate securely online. Indicate CAMPERSHIP in the One-Time Donation box at the top of the page.