Wilderness Camp Summer Team
Life-changing Opportunities @ Wilderness Camp!
Each summer we look for individuals who want to make a positive change in the lives of young people and spend lots of time outdoors. Join a team of summer ministry leaders who work together, creating an atmosphere of adventure, friendly security, and relationship-building that can last a lifetime!
Summer positions at Wilderness Camp include 2 weeks of training and pre-camp work, plus the 8-10 weeks of camp, depending on the position. Training in American Red Cross life-guarding and in belaying for our Adventure Program is provided. Top off an already rewarding work experience with the boost it will give your resume.
- Be in the habit of nurturing a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and be in agreement with our statement of faith.
- Be willing to commit the majority of your summer to training and service, from approximately June 1 through August 15.
- Be qualified for the positions you are seeking.
- Initiate the process by submitting references and an application in good time. Most of our summer hires occur between January and April.
- Be available for a personal interview and provide permission for us to do appropriate background checks.
Most of our hires happen between January and April. The earlier you apply, the more positions will be open for you.
- Select 4 references, and ask their permission before providing their contact information.
- Follow this link to apply online. The online system will automatically generate a Reference Form directed to each of your chosen references.
- If you prefer not to apply online, click here for the printable Summer Team Application Form.
- Provide this printable Summer Team Reference Form to each of your references if not applying online.
- Wait …. it takes approximately 2-4 weeks for references to be returned and all materials to be reviewed.
- Within 3-4 weeks we will contact you, either about an interview or to decline. If you do not hear from us within 3-4 weeks, please contact us again to check the status of your application. We can’t wait to hear from you!
College and career summer positions:
- Ages 21 and up
- Helps the Camp Director implement all aspects of making summer camp happen. S/he will work with the Wilderness Camp program team and counselors to coordinate all activities and events in the program.
- Ages 18 and up
- Be a fun-loving mentor for kids as you lead, teach, and care for tent groups of 7-9 campers. Senior counselors are given their own tent for the summer where they stay with their campers, cook breakfasts over the fire, lead daily devotions, teach electives, and participate in all daily events. Counselors may also spend some time serving behind the scenes in a support role. Counselors must possess a solid Christian maturity, strong relational skills, good judgment, and be at least one year graduated from high school.
- Ages 21 and up
- One male and one female Head Counselor are needed to lead our counseling team. This role involves providing oversight and leadership to the counselors of their gender. Proven counseling skills and Christian maturity is needed.
Leaders in Training Team Leader
- Ages 21 and up
- One female and one male are needed to oversee our Leaders in Training (LIT) Program. The position involves the oversight of daily work tasks and organizing spiritual and leadership enrichment activities for our trainees. Must have a servant’s heart and the ability to model and teach Christian leadership principles to older teens.
- The Summer Expedition Guide is responsible for the safety, education, supervision and spiritual nurture of Expedition campers ages 12-18. This role entails being a both a trail guide and group facilitator, leading campers in the experiential learning activities that are integral to each Wilderness event.
- In this role, energetic people with excellent communication and group management skills help facilitate our Adventure Program elements that include (1) Zip Line, (2) Climbing Tower, (3) Power Swing, (4) High Ropes Course and (5) Low Challenge Course. Adventure leaders serve not only summer campers, but also Retreat Center guests of all ages and backgrounds.
Camp Nurse (filled for 2017)
- We generally employ experienced nurses one week at a time. We have found it very beneficial when we are able to find a recent grad or upper level nursing student for the summer that is willing to support the weekly nurse, care for the summer staff, and be available to help in other areas of camp. Call for details.
- One to two persons will serve in the Wilderness Camp office. Positions may involve relating to parents, processing registrations, handling camper accounts, assigning tent-mates, managing the camp store, answering phones, and fulfilling daily clerical tasks. This person should have an attention to detail, possess solid relational skills, and have completed high school. This is a great opportunity for someone looking at going into the camping field to see what happens to make camp possible.
- Cooks, ages 18 and up
- Kitchen Assistants, ages 16 and up
- One or two cooks will be part of the kitchen team responsible for the daily preparation of meals for up to 200 campers and staff. Cooks may provide leadership for others, should possess a solid work ethic, a servant’s heart, enjoy working with a team of people, and be at least one year graduated from high school.
- Ages 18 and up
- Gather video footage and photographs that will be used for both web and print media, produce a weekly camp DVD, and maintain web features. Videographers and photographers are creative and self motivated, with computer and video experience.
High School Age Summer positions:
- Four or 5 young women and men will serve as CSAs. CSAs spend some of their time participating with a senior counselor in a tent setting, and rest of the time providing kitchen, janitorial support or child care support. Strong swimmers may also be Life Guards. CSA’s must possess relational skills, Christian foundation, and work ethics that are solid and have completed 11th grade.
Apply online to volunteer.