Through the rich history of the Anabaptist faith tradition, Spruce Lake Retreat has encouraged persons from a variety of traditions to a deeper faith in God through Jesus Christ.
In 1961, Christians from Mennonite churches in Bucks and Montgomery Counties recognized a need to provide a summer camp for their children and youth. They formed Franconia Mennonite Camp Association, Inc. to organize their efforts. In 1962 their search for a property led them to the Pocono Mountains where a For Sale sign along a Barrett Township, Monroe County road caught their attention.
The property owner was quick to catch their vision. He recalled the selfless volunteer rescue work the Mennonite churches had done for weeks following the famous flood of 1955 in Stroudsburg, PA, and he decided to give them an incredibly generous price on the property.
Spruce Lake Retreat officially opened on Memorial Day, 1963.
With a rich history in the Anabaptist faith tradition, Spruce Lake invites and encourages all people to seek a deeper faith in God through Jesus Christ.
This purpose is expressed through the following ministries:
- Retreat programs for families & individuals
- Plan-Your-Own Group Retreats
- Outdoor Education for schools & homeschoolers
- Summer Camp
- Day Camp
The foundational belief of Spruce Lake Retreat is that the life and teachings of Jesus Christ are central to our lives. We believe that Jesus is the complete revelation of who God is, and he becomes the Holy Light that guides our thoughts and actions. We believe that Jesus is the Creator, Savior, Lord, and Sustainer of our lives, declared to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead.
Statement of Faith & Core Values
Core Purpose: Pointing People Toward Christ
Core Values: These core values are grounded in our Statement of Faith as summarized below.
Spruce Lake Retreat is dedicated to Christian service in the Anabaptist tradition. With all who live by faith in Jesus Christ, we believe…
- In one God eternally existing as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- That God has revealed Himself in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, the divinely inspired, entirely trustworthy, relevant, and authoritative Word of God.
- That in the beginning God created all things by His Son.
- That all people have sinned, bringing death and separation from God.
- In restoration with God through repentance and the shed blood and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, by grace through faith apart from works.
- That the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, effects the new birth, gives guidance in life, empowers for service, and enables perseverance in faith and holiness.
- That Jesus, when he lived on Earth, revealed a way for people to live peacefully as devoted servants of God.
- That the church is the body of Christ, a people redeemed and obedient to the Word of God, in a fellowship of love, intercession, and healing.
- That the goodness of being either single or married is honorable. We believe that God intends marriage to be a covenant between one man and one woman for life. According to Scripture, right sexual union takes place only within the heterosexual marriage relationship.
- That Jesus Christ will come again to gather His church, and judge all people. God will reign with Christ in justice, righteousness, and peace forever.
We will be transparent in our relationships, practices, and attitudes including being honest with each other even when to do so may cause us or another initial pain. We will be accountable first to God and then to each other to live and work in a way that points people to Christ, establishing expectations that fit within the reality of our mission, time, resources, and staffing levels.
We will make our relationship with God the top priority. We expect that when we seek Him continually, our relationships with Christ, coworkers and guests can only become more marked by love, humility, honesty and fun.
Our organization will be characterized by people who respect each other and desire to be part of the Team. We will honor responsibility, recognize individual contributions, support the organizational values and be driven by our Core Purpose of “pointing people toward Christ.”
To recognize and promote that we are stewards not owners of the resources God has given us. We will responsibly manage the resources of Spruce Lake Retreat – money, time, facilities, nature and people – by making decisions based not only on their present impact, but also on how they may affect the future.
Quality is the sustained action of providing the best opportunity for spiritual renewal, Sabbath rest, and quality experience within our faith, community and means while building and maintaining relationships by assessing, anticipating and fulfilling stated and implied needs.
We will be a community of learners, one that desires consistent improvement in our work, lives and spiritual journey. This learning will be inspired by our personal growing faith and our healthy community.